Aups - Var - Provence
 
   
Simon Segal Museum
Contemporary art
Jean Jacques Castex

SIMON SEGAL MUSEUM:
Avenue Albert 1er
Tél: 04.94.70.01.95

Open from the first of june to the third sunday of septembre - Closed Tuesday

From 11am to 1pm
and from 4pm to 7pm

Open by appointment for groups the rest of the year.

This museum groups together 3 schools of painting (Schools of Toulon, Bourges and Paris) with more than 280 canvasses (paintings, drawings, gouache, water colours, charcoal) including 56 by Simon Segal. All the canvasses come from the private collection of Bruno Bassano, a remarkable philanthropist who, banished by the Mussolini regime and exiled to France, donated it to the village of Aups as thanks for the welcome he received.
The inauguration took place on 14th October 1980 under the honorary presidency of Gaston Deferre, the then Deputy Mayor of Marseille and President of the Provence-Côte d’Azur Regional Council and a great friend of Bruno Bassano.

Remarkable painting and sculpture exhibitions are held each summer.

The Simon Segal Museum’s permanent collection of Bruno Bassano’s donation is displayed the rest of the year.

 

> The Simon Segal Museum and the Ursuline convent

The chapel of the former Ursuline convent houses the Simon Segal museum. Originally a Cistercian Convent in the 10th and 11th centuries, it was successively restored by the Augustinians, Ursulines and the Trinitarians. It was under the Ursulines that the building took its current shape when it was extended firstly in 1614 with an additional floor and then by a further four towards the end of the 17th century. Note that the recumbent statue which rests above the magnificent period wooden entrance door is Saint Thérèse of Lisieux, a Carmelite nun who entered the convent of Lisieux at the age of 15 and died from tuberculosis on 30th September 1897 at the age of 24. She is celebrated on 1st October.

Today, divided into four very distinct parts, the main farm building has become a magnificent property, the priory has been bought by a private individual, the garden harbours the tomb of the Dukes of Blacas and the chapel (restored in the 19th century) has been converted into a contemporary art museum.

Office de Tourisme de Aups - Var - Provence ©   Plan du site &  infos légalesLiens utiles